Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What do you do with all that left-over frosting?

Frosted Cake Dreams

If you decorate a lot of cakes and cookies, then you probably know what it's like to have small amounts of several colors of frosting left over. I personally have a tight budget, and I despise throwing things in the trash when I can always think of some way to use them.



Cookies is one great way to use up several colors of left-over frosting, and that's what I do normally. One particular time though, I decided that since I needed to do a practice cake in order to learn basket techniques, I would take all of the left-over colors and do a flower basket cake.
                     

Its a bit crooked as you can see because I ran out of that color, so I just filled it in with flowers and it worked out okay for a first basket cake.

Some of the colors are quite bright and unrealistic, but with these types of designs, you don't always want realistic. I think it is fun to do bright and cheery cakes like this that don't have you stressing for perfection. It was a great way to not only practice my basket and flowers, but use frosting's that otherwise may have been thrown away.  And it was delicious as well. Nobody I showed this to realized it was just a practice cake to use up the left-overs, and it brightened our family meal!

      
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...