Sunday, September 1, 2013

How to make your own Panko Bread Crumbs

Have you seen the price of Panko Bread Crumbs lately? I like to save every penny I can by doing as much as I possibly can on my own. Bread crumbs is one of those ingredients I use constantly at home, but I refuse to pay the high prices of it in the grocery store.


The Japanese method of making panko crumbs is to use make a yeast risen bread dough, rising twice, but instead of baking it in a traditional method, they flatten the dough and place a weight on it. Once flattened with the weight, they actually electrocute it it, run it through a shredder to get a flake like texture. Take a look at the video below from Alton Brown on the Japanese method for panko bread crumbs.


To make your own Panko Bread Crumbs, you can use any white bread you choose. I am referring to the color when I say white bread. My favorite panko crumbs are made using sourdough bread, but I also use french, Italian or just a store bought loaf of sliced white sandwich bread.

When I make bread crumbs for many recipes, all I do is toast the bread until lightly browned and dried, then I run it through a processor to make it into crumbs. These crumbs are golden and brown in color and I use them for meatloaf, meatballs, various seafood and veggie patties, and even casseroles.

Panko Bread Crumbs can be made similarly, but the difference is that the crumbs are not browned at all. They remain white, and the bread is crumbed before it is dried. Yes, if you try both methods, you will see the difference as simple as it is!

The steps for making either type of bread crumbs is easy, but for this post, I am focusing on Panko Crumbs because I use those more than any other. Follow the steps below for a perfect method in saving money on your food bills.

Step 1: Remove the crust from all of your bread. and discard, or save crust for other bread crumb uses.

Step 2: Using a food processor, place fresh, or day old slices of any type of white colored bread you choose. This can be white sandwich bread, homemade white bread, French bread, Italian bread, or my favorite, sourdough bread.

Step 3: Process your bread into fluffy soft crumb that's free of larger pieces and fairly evenly sized crumb.

Step 4: Spread the soft crumbs evenly on a large baking sheet. DO NOT GREASE PAN! Use a second pan if needed to be sure you have just a thin layer in the bottom of each pan.

Step 5: Place the baking sheet into a cool oven and turn heat to 250 degrees F.

Step 6: After 10 minutes of heating time, flip crumbs with a spatula or shake baking sheet to turn crumbs. DO NOT LET YOUR CRUMBS BROWN AT ALL. Continue turning crumbs every 5 minutes until they are completely dried out but NOT BROWNED at all.

Place the crumbs in airtight container to store. You may also freeze them.

Do not use stale bread or you will have stale tasting crumb.


              



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...